Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gangbangsters - UFO ft. Cosmo Blunt'd

Hear The Track Here

As I mentioned when I reviewed Scheezy McGee's Hands track earlier this month, we seem to be spoilt for choice when it comes to hip hop musicians willing to try and break the commercial cement that hip hop has set into the past few years. One of the musicians I mentioned in that review was LA's very own Gangbangsters who, ever since I met him with Shoelaces (September 2008), has consistently surprised me both with his choice of musical styles and his ability to work within them. Certainly one of the highlights of this year for me was the absolutely wicked rock of Letzgetfuctup (September 2010) which is, I believe, his first Must Have from me. To do that with a rock track, my own favourite groove, says something about this musician.

There are a couple of these tracks on Gangbangsters page, this and Space **** and of the two, Space **** REALLY deserves the Parental Advisory both for its content and its profanity level. It wasn't, however, the reason I went to listen to it. The main reason is because the vocal sounded so weird I had to check to see whether it was intentional, and it is. As it happened, it also gave me a chance to hear both of them and I do recommend you take them as a kinda/sorta double header. Certainly if you like your hip hop different, this will buzz you. Mind you, do watch out for Space ****, it has some images that may not be suitable for young minds.

The tracks were produced by Gangbangsters and, presumably, Cosmo is doing the vocal and I got to say I like it. I had to get over that initial vocal sound (think space monster) but once that settles in, the rap and music slink around like hungry tigers before mealtime. Gangbangsters using a nice assortment and breaks and drones which really propels things along nicely. Funny, I managed to pick up most of the lyrics on Space **** in seconds but I'm still working on UFO. It is fair to say that the track carries a certain amount of roughness of sound, but that might well be the intention because this sound is d-i-r-t-y (in the nicest possible sense)

I know, I know, but give it a second. Recommended Hip Hop.

No comments: