Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Scheezy McGee - L.O.V.E.

Hear The Track Here

Yet another new name to me, this time from Soundclick, Daniel Cotton (aka Scheezy McGee ) is an Alternative Indie musician from the USA who cites The Velvet Underground as one of his influences and he had me with that one. A much underrated group IMHO. However, this is about Scheezy, so I won't say anything about the Smiths being there other than to say well someone has to like them. Taking all that into account, to say that I was surprised when I actually got to hear the track is a massive understatement. If anything, L.O.V.E is pure hip hop in structure, complete with rap courtesy - I assume - of Scheezy himself. So, if you've been following my reviews of Soundlick's Twisted Angel and Gangbangsters, here is yet another musician stretching the envelope between rock elements and urban r&b/hip hop.

Yay, indeed. Could always do with more of this.

L.O.V.E is, according to the man himself, 'a prayer thrown out into the universe' and you can be sure its loud enough that anyone can hear it. And therein lies one of the main problems with this track; sound levels - especially on the vocals - are very hot indeed which leads to some distortion. Best not to try playing this bad boy too loud because it'll slice your ears off - and not in a good way. However, I'm sure its because this musician is young and just learning the basics and - for that reason - I'm going to slide by the technical side of this. Hey, we all have to work within our limits and although it may sound like I am about to dish this track unmercifully, you'd be wrong. Dead wrong.

I may be a stickler for audio fidelity and detail with someone I expect that degree of work from, but what I want from the fresh blood comes down to two things; ideas and style. Scheezy McGee has both of those in abundance and those WILL get you past the roughness of the sound. See, Scheezy McGee delivers this track as he feels it, and that to me counts for far more than having every hair carefully combed down. The ideas come with the structure and arrangement of this very intriguing blend of rock, hiphop and all points south. I do like it when a track steps right off the beaten track so don't let that initial impression of standard hiphop fool you, there is more to L.O.V.E. than appears. Any chance of a glance at the lyrics? That would have been helpful to be able to assess this better.

Highly Recommended blend of rock and hip hop.

No comments: