Sunday, August 15, 2010

Gangbangsters - Yellow Haze

Hear The Track Here

You catch me rubbing my eyes because I think they must be mis-functioning. See, I keep seeing the title of this as Jenna Haze (Ed: phowaaarrr!!) or even - when the light is right - Purple Haze, but there again this is a Gangbangsters track and that often has odd side effects. Mind you, when you are dealing with 'experimental psyched out punk funk noise' that's only to be expected, I guess. Actually we are a bit spoilt for choice on the 'experimental psyched out punk funk noise ' front right now, but I would always find time for LA's very own brand of 'pain and pleasure'. You may recall my last experience with this (very) Alternative musician when I reviewed the one minute plus change express-train rockfest Letzgetfuctup (July 2010) and. believe me, that is going to be a hard act to follow.

I do like a musician who is unafraid to stretch out of their comfort zones, and Ryan Wixted (aka Gangbangsters) has always been adept at that. Talk about keeping you on your toes, we seem to have run through as many genres as we have tracks and there aren't many musicians who do that on a regular basis. One area I am certain we haven't ventured into as yet is out and out electronica (Ed: actually you have but we'll pass on that) but oh look, here's Jenn...er sorry heres Yellow Haze which is exactly that. Experimental electronica at that, but still pretty mainstream nonetheless.

What you have here is a very decent musical track with minor oddities which, to my ears, keep the tune fresh and listenable long after it would normally have worn out its welcome. As you can tell, it's also an instrumental and a pretty decent one at that. While it certainly doesn't have the impact of some of this musicians songs, there is still plenty to recommend with this track, not the least of it being the dense production and obvious thought to sound and structure. What will probably single it out most is the main element, the sheer musical feel of the piece, all done with a kind of sonorous majesty. Got to say this about Gangbangsters, always a source for surprises.

Highly Recommended Experimental Electronica.

No comments: