Monday, March 29, 2010

Reflexion X - I Got An Error

Hear The Track Here

A new name, but with a Soundclick veteran behind it. Finnish musician Heikki Roots has been on Soundclick a long, long time. Since 2003 to be precise and believe me that's a long time in Soundclick years. During that time, he was releasing electronica under the deepndark name (also his forum name which may be naggingly familiar), and to my eternal shame I don't think I have ever heard any of his music. Ever. Funny thing is, like a lot of Soundclick forum regulars, I have followed his various comings and goings with a lot of interest but never really known very much outside of that. Now that I've heard some music and done a bit of research I suspect that Heikki and I have a similar musical path to where we are right now. He started making and releasing music back in 1993 (I started a year previously) and - as you do - learned a lot over the years about what works and what doesn't and, most important of all, learning to sharpen and hone your own unique musical 'voice'. Funnily enough, Soundclick's electronica community contains a surprising number of these kind of musicians so it really shouldn't come as that much of a surprise.

Back in the day (talking 1992-1993 here) Scandinavian musicians (Swedes, Fins and Norwegians in particular) ruled big time. Almost all the musicians working then and well known were European anyway, but the Northern states cleaned almost everyone's clock big time. The reason still eludes me to this day but there is no doubt that they picked up on the musical possibilities a lot quicker than the rest of us. So what I get from I Got An Error is a modern, very grown up version of the kind of electronica that made the MOD scene such a joy to know about and be involved with. In other words, given the man's history, I would expect something that stands on its own on every level and I Got An Error does not disappoint, technically or stylistically.

I say this fully well aware that this is not my favourite area (dance electronica is for dancing IMHO). So I already had one hurdle to overcome but a very, very small one when up against this excellent song. Yep, you read that right, an electronica track that actually carries a song. Heikki readily admits that one of his main influences is Prodigy which, when you hear the track, is obvious although not to the 'copyist' level. The production is so clean and punchy I didn't even notice it the first few plays and that is rare for me because that is where I usually pick the most holes. Couldn't do it on this track, Heikki tied it up so tight. As always I try these tracks out in a variety of situations and over a large sound system this is ******* devastating and - strangely - reminds me somewhat of Kraftwerk at their pop end. Whatever, no denying that this is an excellent piece of work, regardless of style or genre.

Highly Recommended indeed.

No comments: