Friday, March 26, 2010

GSM - Time Will Cure Us All

Hear The Track Here

I admit that I don't really pay a lot of attention when I am reaping the dubious rewards of my chosen profession (Ed: he means when he's downloading all your tracks, I think) but I do catch the odd thing that flits before my eyeballs. Like, for example what kind of music this is ie genre classification. This is something that has caused me massive amounts of grief down the years because, well I'm a bit weak in the assumption department. Meaning if there is one to be leapt on, I am certain that I'll be there shouting 'yeeeaaahhh' and waving my hat about long before most of humanity. Now I have my list of peeves and I think it is headed by prog-rock and I've never ever made any secret of it and having said that I've still found myself having to defend this music from time to time because the musicians do such a bang up job of it.

And all without a nice frilly blouse and big hair in sight.

Gabriel Sabadi, Chris Moore and Chris Georgiou are the three musicians who make up GSM and they may well be familiar names to you, certainly I've heard much from Gabriel and Chris through the good offices of Mix Radio but Chris Moore I'm not so sure of. What I do know about these musicians is that - whatever the genre - the result is certainly going to be highly listenable. I had the great good fortune to come across Yes before they go famous and bloated and I admit to loving their first two albums and if Time Will Curse Us All reminds me of anything its Yes during that period. The contrast between the floaty, effortless vocals and the heavy aggression they could pile on when needed, echoed in this track, although I can hear a lot of other influences into the bargain. Mind you, this is a long piece (seven minutes and change) and the trio make as much use of that time as possible.

Yeah, all well and good but did I like it, you ask impatiently. No, I freely admit. Not in the conventional sense anyway. I wouldn't, for example, root around looking for something like this myself but when I come across it in a review environment it comes down to two outcomes; will it be a struggle or will I like it because - well - it's that good. There are, I am glad to say, a few prog-rock musicians that I have come to like - especially over the last two or three years - and I think there will be room in there for a band of GSM's obvious calibre. What makes this different from most 'prog-rock' is that it is a very affectionate nod to the beginnings of the prog-rock scene rather than its bloated, pretentious aftermath. It also helps that GSM holds three extremely talented and competent musicians/producers/whatevAH. Who knows, it might even tempt me to pull out a copy of the Yes album (released in 1969) and if that's the case I am really *******. And I blame you all for corrupting me :P

Excellent Prog-rock affirmation. Highly Recommended.

No comments: