Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gangbangsters - Shoelaces

Hear The Track Here

The largest genre on Soundclick, and probably the hardest to crack (ie you would have to beat some other one million tracks to get a number one) is the hiphop genre. Of course, its about the same on any other site on the planet, but on Soundclick the scale is enormous. So, it's a given then that the scene has a lot of wannabes, and not a whole lot of should-bes - take it from one who knows. There again, as we've found out over the years, this site does have some excellent exponents of the art and whenever I come across a new name - in this case California based Gangbangsters - I always hope I'm gonna get a nice surprise.

It's a half glass of water thing, ya know?

To be honest, my first impression of the track wasn't very good at all. It had a rough, shambolic sound to it that really got my hackles up and the roughest mix I have heard in a long while. At this point, this would probably be one of my shortest reviews ever, but despite my misgivings I carried on playing it and playing it and guess what? If you put aside the obviously home made sound, the roughness of the mix and the weediness of the sound, whats happening on this track is different enough to overcome it's aural problems. Again, having listened to this n dozen times, as the rap says 'I don't know what it is I'm singing about' but it doesn't really matter because it the whole track that makes the mark.

The musical track is an odd blend of Germanic electronica (think Kraftwerk), huge, fuzzy basslines and a propulsion system that cannot be denied, provided you give it the time and the brainroom. Finally, I discover I am in two minds about this track; either the artist IS making this in very limited circumstances (ie no kit) or it is purposely made to sound exactly like this. Either way it does work and work a treat; not as dense and strident as some homie raps and given the different musical approach this is a good introduction to a new Soundclick rapper.

Very rough (maybe intentionally) rap hip hop. Recommended for its energy though.

No comments: