Saturday, September 27, 2008

Apesoundscapes - Smoke 'Em Out

Hear The Track Here

Even Carl Best (aka Apesoundscapes) would admit that he is not the most prolific of artists, but I guess that doesn't really matter when you are talking about quality tracks - and that is what this artist does better than most. I first met this electronica artist way back in 2005 and have given him at least one Must Have rating. Considering that we are only talking about 1 or 2 new tracks a year, I'd say that was good going. That track - Out Of The Cold (March 2006) - still sits on my hard drive to this day, as does HazyDayz (April 2007) and considering his rate of output that is amazing.

You're only as good as your last track though...right? ;)

The beat on Smoke 'em Out comes from someone called Emotive and I know nothing whatsover about them. What did come as a surprise was the fact that this is a song, and a kinda/sorta Alternative song at that - even though it is billed as electronica/Indietronic. It's an odd little beast though, at least until you get used to it. The beats are odd, jerky but probably intentionally so because the track itself has an inbuilt lope that, I guess, would be difficult to would be difficult to pin down.

The more the track develops, and the longer you listen to it, you begin to realise that this is undeniably English in origin and most definitely of the alternative guitar band variety. A cross betwen Oasis and Blur although I am shamed to say that it a very lazy reference. The style does remind me of something but I can't for the life of me pin it down. It's also quite difficult to make out the lyrics and there are none posted which is a shame because at over five and a half minutes this is track with something to say. Not sure about the overall sound though, even when I have played it many times but maybe that's me going old.

Excellent Indietronic/alternative. Highly Recommended.

No comments: