Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fluidity - Hansel

Hear The Track Here

John Paul Carroll is the name behind New Zealand's Fluidity, an artist I have become very, very familiar with since I first met him in early 2004. Don't ask me the name of the track because I have no idea; the review seems to have diappeared down a black hole in my filing system. Becoming so familiar with an artist has its pitfalls, insofar as you begin to expect the earth, moon and stars from them - and usually they have promised that in some way beforehand. Fluidity certainly has, as the string of Must Have's and Hightly recommendeds I've thrown his way over these four years. Mind you, as he know well, I do call a spade a spade; when something appears wrong to me - I say it. That's what happened with the last track....

Now read on...

I really like Fluidity's approach to rock songwriting and performing and have been through a few odd turns in his 'career', and liked most of them. Judging by Hansel, the songwriting strength is still there; definitely a track you will need to eye the lyrics to get the full picture mind. The fine rock approach that typifies a Fluidity track is also right to the fore, and as usual the production is as good as JP can ever make it. All of which sounds, I suppose, that coming right up soon is a big BUT. Well, sorry to disappoint you but not really. All musicians go through phases, and all musicians sometimes can't hear what other people hear and that's the way it should be.

The fact is Hansel is a cracking track, a rock aria stretching out over almost five minutes with some lovely lovely guitar embellishments in the time honoured Fluidity tradition. If you are a fan already, you probably have this already but if you like decent, intelligent rock music with the right kind of kick, this'll be it. There is no doubt in my mind, having lived with this track for a while that JP is in some kind of transitory state because all the familiar sights are there, but it has a lot of the same odd feel as Lost and Found. As a sign of things to come, Hansel in extremely encouraging and it is nice to see JP really stretching out like this.

Highly Recommended rock, with a distinct difference.

No comments: