Friday, August 22, 2008

Can't Stop The Daggers - No More Looking For Escapes

Hear The Track Here

Hey look at that, it's kulamafi time again. If you had no idea that Chris Chattom (Guitars, Programming, Upright/Fretless Basses), Jon Partelow aka the aformentioned kulamafi (Vocals, Keys, Accoustic Guitar, Programming ), Emily Schalick (Electric Bass, Accoustic bases Upright & 5 string, Cello, bowing, backup vocals), Lionel Luchessi (Drums, Percussion, backup vox) and Ben Dumbauld (Percussion, Vibes, drums) made up Can't Stop The Daggers and that they are definitely destined for some big stuff. What planet have you been living on lately? As far as this reviewer goes (and a great many others too) Can't Stop The Daggers has been on of THE finds of the last year or so. They have made a HUGE impression in a very short space of time indeed. Looking at their latest news (playing live dates, recording later), things can only get better and they are pretty amazing already.

I apologise upfront about the amount of sycophantic grovelling I am about to do, but hey I love this band.

No More Looking For Escapes starts with an acoustic figure that is irritatingly familiar, or echoes something I've heard and I know I'm not going to rest until I've pinned that one down. Of course, all that waxing lyrical about what a great band CSTD are, is now well suspect considering that the last two tracks from this artist have been essentially demos, and mainly acoustic at that. OK, even taken on that level, this track has more going for it than most fine-combed, polished so called masters and for one simple reason. A dynamite song. Couple that with a very clean, totally unfussy mix and voila! instant high.

I liked Jon Partelow as HELLbus but I much prefer this side of his music and my hearts beats in my chest when I contemplate what the full band will make of a track as fine as this. Like their kinda/sorta stablemates, Azoora, Can't Stop The Daggers offer a very compelling image of what can only be described as future pop; a return to a time when lyrics, feel and dynamics were the driver of the song rather than a cash till. It's certainly the reason I so strongly champion artists such as these. If you think I'm laying it on too thick, I suggest you spend two minutes listening to this beautiful song and then tell me I'm too addled for this lark.

MUST HAVE (even in its present form). Chillsville.

No comments: