Monday, December 24, 2007

Wreckless Music - I Miss My Boi

Hear The Track Here

Third time around for me and US based hip hop rapper/producer. Considering he comes from Washington state, an area better known for its rock grunge, Wreckless Music does a fair job of it as I hope my reviews pointed out, but there are large areas that need to be addressed if he is to make any headway in an extremely active genre. 2007 has been a terrific year for me because I've probably reviewed more hip hop this year on Soundclick than ever before - and I've picked up some favourites along the way. So, I know what the competition is up to, and I assume that Wreckless Music does too....

Anyway, let's see.

Despite all appearances to the contrary there are some people who have influence on the indie scene and I think Wreckless Music should take comfort in the fact that Len Amsterdam and Mike Kohlgraf are playing this artist. If they see what I see, they will see someone struggling to overcome the limitations of what he is working with, as this track so aptly shows. I Miss My Boi (I think) is one of those tinkling, plinky hip hop tracks that - if you like the genre - you will have become all too familiar with. What WM does with the tinkly plinkys is certainly OK, if a little basic, but the whole thing sounds more than a tad worn and thin and doesn't really do the rap much justice.

It is in the rap (style at least) that Wreckless Music have something a little different to offer and I did mention this in the review I did of Gemini (September 2007). This is a two handed rap and despite a couple of obvious fluffs it hangs together extremely well and - for my money anyway - it raises this slightly above the crowd. Again, its a crying shame that it is only slightly but hey it's tough out there. Unless you got tight music, fluid beats and the same qualities in the rap breaking through into the larger Soundclick hip hop audience is going to be a long, drawn-out affair. Still, if ya got time...

Reasonable rap, so-so tune. I've said this before....

No comments: