Thursday, December 27, 2007

One Kid's Lunch - Crossover Hit

Hear The Track Here

I tend to approach this time in the yearly calender with a certain amount of reinforcement of my tolerance levels. I have found that if I don't take this simple precaution I am likely to be seen snarling and shouting 'bah humbug' at every opportunity. It's not that I don't like Christmas, it's just the santimonious claptrap mixed with a heady brew of consumerist gluttony that makes me want to vomit copiously. I tend to take my spirituality in the same manner I take everything else, with a healthy dose of jocularity.

Which brings me smartly to...

One Kids Lunch are a duo who have kept this reviewer amused many times since I first made their acquaintance with There's More (May 2006). Mind you, they are a suspiciously slow lot too. I haven't heard anything new from these guys in a good long while, and even Crossover Hit has been on Soundclick a good while. It's also the most 'Christian' slanted of their tracks that I've heard too; although - as usual - with that slightly disturbing but wonderfully comic way One Kid's Lunch have with both their music and the songs they write.

I can't say I really liked this track though, as much as I have some other OKL tracks. Even though it seems to have been inspired by a lunatic melding of Frank Zappa and 10cc, it still has a dated sound that didn't strike the right note with me. For sure though, the idea, the arrangement and the lyrics themselves make up immensely, and I couldn't help admiring the sheer bravado of these guys. The lyrics are basically a guy talking himself through the process of making a hit record and you really have to read them while listening to the track to really get the full flavour. Although it would be best to spit it out at the end....

Crossover hit on/from Pluto. Odd, irreverant and entertaining as only OKL can be. Recommended.

No comments: