Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Cam's Even Song - A Brief Survey of Human History

Hear The Track Here

Not one to do things by halves, our Cam. If he is going to tackle a subject, it might as well be a worthy one. Granted the tune is a little long at almost six minutes, but come on... What is it? A musical wormhole that magically expands to encompass aeons of human stupidity? Nope, can't be done, which as you know is the standard tradesmans answer when faced with something beyond their comprehension (ie almost everything). Uh oh, I think it's probably showing that I've had a spot of bother with builders today. Just ignore me, I'll just sit here and simmer...

Now. Where was I? Ah yes, attending Even Song...

Regular readers will already know that I hold Cam in high regard, as a songwriter and musician. He has his own, very recognisable style, and is a charming and helpful human being as well. Of course it goes without saying that I'd still kick his butt if for some reason I could find fault with his work, but try as I might I only find the merest niggles - usually because of the 'home recording' syndrome. Materially and stylistically, I've never been able to feel anything except envy for his work. Cam is a experienced and capable singer and songwriter but when I have the opportunity to take in his instrumental work (ie Sonic Salad), I have found a musician of rare taste.

If ever a A Brief Survey of Human History could be worked into a six minute tune, it would be every bit as pretty, dramatic and captivating as this track. It's classed as Electronica: Ambient and it so fits the category; it's topping and tailing with ambient sounds is particularly atmospheric. The meat and potatoes though is a fairly standard rock beat married to some great ambient/electronic sounds. Each second passes and the scenery just keeps changing roaming through - I would imagine - virtually ALL man's endeavours (as you do in a nice likkle choon) and it's that detail that will keep you listening to this long after others have fallen in the dust. A big project this, and Cam has pulled it off perfectly and you know I'm not normally into the chill-out side of things...

Beautiful. Highly Recommended.

No comments: