Monday, July 10, 2006

Amorphix - Persephone (The Rites of Spring)

Hear The Track Here

Amorphix is a brand new name to me from Soundclick, an artist working in the Electronic: Ambient field which I admit I haven't much of a taste for. Still I'm always game for an aural seduction and ya never know when one is going to come along. Ambient is a particularly difficult genre to master unless you approach it from the angle - thankfully - Amorphix has decided to adopt. There's a sight more of the classical about this track than anything else, and for me it's that element that makes this track the absolute humdinger it is. A wide-screen, Dolby stereo effort that deserves much praise for it's style, competence and sheer listening pleasure.

This, remember, from a guy who doesn't really see eye to eye with the whole ambient thing. Eno blabbering on about it for what seemed like fekkin aeons didn't help matters much either. Mind you, I've heard some very good tracks in this genre in my time on Soundclick and this musician is going to join them immediately, at least on the strength of this very impressive (in a great many ways) track. The track is about - and I quote - the retreat of winter and the rebirth of spring brought about by Persephone's return to the realm of the mortals so you can bet your boots it's gonna be littered with dramatic sequences, suspense filled orchestration and a tremendous sense of itself.

Naaaahhh, too much to hope for innit?

Not no more, o pesky critters, because Persephone wotsname is the dogs danglies - in or out of it's genre.

You'll have to give it a good ear bashing to really get to the substance of the track, but even the initial impression should be sufficient to induce you to want to download and keep it. I'm certainly going to. Coming in at just over six minutes, this is not a musical trifle, something to be dallied with and then thrown away. Nope, this is something to savour, preferably at your most relaxed and receptive to it's aural magic. Amorphix plays his cards perfectly, the tension, loneliness and definite-nip-in-the-air chill of the classical instrumentation to the first section is melted away after four minutes or so with a very 1960's psychedelic (reminded me of one of Steve Miller's early tracks) electronic section that caps off the track beautifully. I may not have been a big fan of ambient but I suspect I will become a big fan of what Amorphix is about.

MUST HAVE

No comments: