Saturday, December 25, 2010

Larry Ludwick - Snow Keeps Falling

Hear The Track Here

I was just getting out the red ink to write down Larry as the third contender in the Christmas song of shame list but nay Snow Keeps Falling is merely about isolation and loneliness, with an aftertaste of endurance. Oh great, you might think, right in the very depths of winter the very thing you need is a song about isolation and loneliness. It's a fact that more people take their own lives at Christmas than at any other time of the year. It's all the Christmas songs, I tell ya!! Enough to drive anybody nuts with their continual po-faced cheer, but let's not get astride that particular hobby horse because I can ride that bad boy forever. (Ed: we know).

Almost every single one of Larry's tracks, mopy or not, has a depth and clarity of emotion that somehow elevates the whole, as was seen with Speak Words Speak's last outing Out Of Love (November 2010). He's on a bit of a roll right now, certainly the last few tracks have found infinite favour with me. An old fashioned 'let's tell a story' songwriter is what makes Larry a personal favourite of mine, even when sometimes the genre may grate on me a bit. After all, a good song is a good song right? Even when its a song about isolation and loneliness...

OK, I'll 'fess up. I like this because I like Larry's style but I do recognise that he may well be something of an acquired taste, more so even for me when he is at his most pensive because it gets well emotional. A lot of Larry's work has a bleak little heart but that doesn't put me off, I guess because I am used to it but I can understand why someone else may not take to it. Still, in terms of the general state of his production and performance this is a track that stands head and shoulders with the rest of his output and, I grant you, that view might be because the genre doesn't, in fact, inspire me much. As you might have guessed.

Highly Recommended wintry tale.

No comments: