Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ron Vogel - Staying Out Of The Way Of The Day

Hear The Track Here

From the time that my twin boys were born, I have virtually been on the nightshift. Luckily I have a job that allows me to work from home, which also allows me to raise my children properly, something I am eternally grateful for. The question I faced was where was the me time? I'm a dedicated musician after all, and the only space I had left was the nighttime. Over the years I have become increasingly inspired somewhere in the time before dawn, and have produced some of my best work in the wee, wee hours. I suspect that Ron has had to do similar juggling in his long career as a musician.

As you might have guessed, the subject of Ron Vogel's song is of being on the night shift and - as usual - this is me getting carried away again. Sooooo. Ron Vogel. Think we are three tracks down with this artist so far and the experience has been favourable, at least for a rock animal like me. Nothing startling mind, just pure straightforward rock, if a little home produced sounding. If, maybe, that is a little unfair of me, the home produced comment IMO counts on this track without dispute. That is not to say that it isn't any good. You can't be doing this for years and years without putting up at least a good front, and Ron certainly does more than that. Nonetheless, I don't think this is strong as some of his previous tracks, being a fairly standard rock arrangement and song, but the real problem - for me anyway - is in the mix/production.

There is also no doubt that Ron has put a lot of time and trouble to make sure things are as right as he can make me, and he comes within a whisker of doing it to. Or at least, that was the initial impression, after only a few plays. Time, however, worked its usual magic and showed me things that, while a personal opinion, could be dealt with easily. The vocal sound, considering the extremely energetic performance Ron makes of it, is awfully stark, and right on top of the mix. Maybe some softening and defining of those vocals may help, as well as getting some natural ambience's in there with the vocal. All production tricks of course because the vocal is just right. The performance of the vocal, I think, demands that extra mile to make this track the monster I hear. It may sound like I am disappointed in this track, I'm not. This is a class rock song delivered with skill and invention, what I'm talking about are tweaks, and certainly wouldn't interest a listener looking for a decent rock song.

Highly Recommended geetar rock.

No comments: