Thursday, September 10, 2009

Denysl - Hey My Friends

Hear The Track Here

This is a track I should have got to last month, which just goes to show how messed up things are right now. No matter. I've been down the review road with this Canadian musician, once in collaboration with Musicarian whose name may ring a bell. Now I'm firmly of the opinion that music is a personal thing, some things you like and some you don't. Wherever possible I try to make that clear in my review and be as subjective as I can, and I've had to do it a few times already so now I think enough said.

The best review so far was for the country rock based Music Is My Life (July 2009) and I felt a sigh of relief when I noticed that Hey My Friends was billed as Country Blues. Funnily enough I didn't place it as such the first couple of times I heard it, I just heard an odd, distinctly quirky but oddly endearing pop song, with only the odd guitar lick giving evidence that the blues is resident here. Essentially, it's a tale of travel and living by your wits (and musical talent) and - be warned - it takes a while to work it's odd charm.

As charming as the music is (in a distinctly retro form) the lyrical side holds its fire until the chorus and that I found initially jarring, it took a few more plays before I started to ignore it. I certainly found it pleasant listening, but it needs something more than a good hooky chorus to get me to roll over and play dead. Nonetheless, judging by its chart position, I shouldn't think Densyl is failing any pain for it. Put up against the endless competition though, Densyl is going to have to raise his game some. Still, maybe he's having fun what he's doing, it sure sounds like it; especially in those choruses.

Recommended Country blues.

No comments: