Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ashkari - Crazy

Hear The Track Here

'We used to be known on here as "Envy' Ashkari writes on their MP3 Unsigned page. I was there downloading this track and immediately that comment started alarm bells ringing. There are only two reasons for this, I have found; because the band gave a track that blew my ears off or because I gave them a hard time and that's why its sticking in my head. Usually it's the latter and such proves to be the case this time. In fact, I reviewed three of Envy's tracks during 2006 and quite liked what they were doing (it being straight forward rock) but to be honest it wasn't anything special. Ashkari is the new monnicker then, and Crazy is filed under Industrial so who knows....

Judging by the impression this made on my earholes during the first few plays, I REALLY have to question that listing. What Crazy is - more than just about anything else - is hard, sweaty, dry ice soaked rock in the grand manner. On that score, I was as happy as a dog with two tails. As I've pointed out n dozen times (Ed: ad nauseum, Gilmore, ad nauseum) I am a rock animal through and through and almost come in my pants when a great rock track kicks my head in. Crazy is, if anything, a great heavy rock track with some great steamhammer guitars that leave no quarter standing; exactly the kind of track to max out the volume to 11 and get out the full length mirror and the air guitar...

Not me, you understand. I have a real guitar.

Now I know that time can put meat on an artists bones but f*** me sideways, the rate that this band has come on is stunning. Not all is love and roses though because the mix on the track isn't right; the drums are almost buried in the mix and the guitars are compressed to within an inch of their lives. Doesn't matter though because the engine of this particular track is a fully fledged, twenty foot tall fire breathing monster (Rockzilla anyone?) that will rattle every cell in your body if you get close to it. I love it so much I've been sleeping with it (Ed: way, way, way TMI). I'm a fan of Nickleback, Tool, and a myriad German hard rock bands and Ashkari have captured that rock zeitgiest perfectly. Awesome and I'm definitely hanging onto this but hope the mix will be fixed so I can give it a...

MUST HAVE (oops!). Masterful rock.

No comments: