Tuesday, March 17, 2009

ejhooker0is0my0name - Apologize

Hear The Track Here

So listen, whatever you do, don't go banging on about the name aiight. We know this artist much better as either Wreckless Music (Ejay) or even Certified Block Niggas but - as the band name suggests - this US based rapper's real name is indeed EJ Hooker. Whatever name he goes under, you can pretty much bet that it would be an interesting listen and - once or twice - well worthy of mention. I've always like what he does with the rap but - like many indie hiphop artists - marrying the right beats to the mix is often where the wheels start falling off the wagon. There again, I have made that mistake before with this artist and have found that its best to give the amount of headroom he needs to work his particular magic.

Truthfully, the first time I heard this, I wasn't that impressed and was kinda wishing I wouldn't have to write this review. There's a roughness to the sound of this track that definitely put me off, it was only the star attraction in the track that kept me coming back for more. Once my ears had adjusted, the track grew on me like gangbusters because - surprise, surprise - it was a clever, intelligent rap yoked to an absolutely killer vocal hook that - once heard - cannot be put down or discarded. Mind you, you WILL have to play the track more than a drive-by so best download it I say...

At this stage of the game, I am absolutely smitten with the vocal (and the song it carries) and I am left wondering if this is EJay singing as well as rapping. If that is the case, then this guy should be doing much, much more of it. The combination of the smoothness of the vocal and the hard, abrasive rap is wonderful and certainly one of the best Wreckless tracks I have heard so far. Apologize carries a Parental Advisory and I cannot for the life of me figure out why, it should have a Great Song Advisory so I guess that's up to me to remedy.

Great song. Highly Recommended hiphop.

No comments: