Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fortune - When The Time Is Right

Hear The Track Here

Right at the ass end (Ed: do you HAVE to be so vulgar?) of 2008, Fortune's All Sold Out (December 2008) closed out the year with a bang. Classic classic rock, if you know what I mean, or at least the American version that spawned bands such as Boston, Kansas and many other states no doubt, and don't even get me started on Blue Oyster Cult... Considering that back-in-the-day I had massive overexposure to a great many of these bands due to touring with some of them, it comes as no surprise that I have an abiding, vehement and viseral dislike of the musical style. Some things get through that barrier and - as I say - Fortune sailed though with great success, gathering a Must Have from me in the process. First time I had come across them too, no bad going at all.

As I mentioned in my last review, Fortune (or www.fortunemusic.com as they are known on Soundclick) are a live band gigging out of Boston and all points everywhere and if there is one rock band (besides Avalanche) I would pay to see, this would be one of them. As I've said ad nauseum I am a consummate rock animal and if you think you know what that means, here's a little test for you. Listen to the first 10 seconds of When The Time Is Right, if you then CANNNOT - under any circumstances - rip your ears away from this classic track then welcome to the club. With shades of Boston (in arrangement and presentation) and even Yes (in vocal complexity) When The Time Is Right is a shoo-in for another must have...

Or is it?

The main criteria I always apply to my choices for Must Have status is that the track should be as close to perfect as it can be. When The Time Is Right (and Fortune) go some way past that. Now I am well prepared to believe that there are a great many people to whom big hair rock is anathema, which is why there are so many others to choose from, so off you go if this review hasn't inspired you to check out one of THE most classy of Soundclick rock bands this reviewer has ever heard. Seriously, try as hard as I could, I could find absolutely nothing wrong and so much right with this track it's almost criminal - at least for other musicians. Wanna feel sick at your own puny efforts, have a listen to a masterclass on how to deliver on every level. If you live in Massachusetts, go and see this band whatever you do...

MUST HAVE Classic rock.

No comments: