Sunday, November 30, 2008

Produced by Radius - Altitude

Hear The Track Here

Just in case you are wondering, yes it is the same Radius as Sound Radius, so now ya know. When I first encountered this Canadian Film composer my heart sank because - as you know only too well - me and film scores just plain don't get on. Mind you, that is MOST film scores. Sound Radius produces work that is head and shouders above most film scores I hear and I still play the first track I ever heard from him - The Power WIthin Score (December 2006) - every once in a while when I am in that kind of mood. That, however, is Sound Radius; the entity we are dealing with here is a (allegedly) new direction.

Song writing Now there's a thing.

So it comes as a bit of a surprise that Altitude is an instrumental, doesn't it? Songs is songs, as a man once said. Words and stuff. All true but once you listen to the track - and I do suggest you do - it becomes obvious that structurally and thematically this is a song waiting for lyrics and vocals. When that happens, provided it is done right, this is going to be one killer track. I've never had any problems whatsoever with this musician as far as what he is doing musically and Altitude is exactly what I expected.

See the thing I love most about Sound Radius's work is the depth of emotion he can pack into a track - and a purely instrumental track at that. The way he constructs melodies and then buillds on them relentlessy is also a bit of a trademark for him, and in this respect Altitude is a blinder. Sounding like a cross between electro-pop and pomp rock (I kid you not) this is one instrumental I definitely have time for. Mind you, as I said, I'd be a lot happier if it were a song but in the meatime this will do very well indeed.

Excellent, detailed 'lectronica. Highly Recommended (for an instrumental)

No comments: