Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Denny Schneidemesser - The Magic Of Rain

Hear The Track Here

Seeing as I might appear to spend my entire life pissing and moaning about some of my least favourite genres (techno, trance, 4 to the floor electronica, film music, games soundtracks, weepy ballads - God, the list seems endless), I still manage to find some good tracks from these fields despite my antipathy. I'd never heard of Denny Schneidemesser until I reviewed Freedom's Calling (April 2007), a track well over six minutes long and a film score to boot. Surely I did the dirty on it? Actually, no, I ended up quite liking it for it's style and intricacy and even recommended it which - for the genre - is a miracle. The magic ingredient that won over this hardened heart? For one so young, Denny has a fine grasp on the concept and delivery of cohesive, detailed music, and time and experience will only sharpen that edge more.

In other words, one to watch.

Denny is from Potsdam, Germany and if you know musicians from that country you will know that they generally attain a high standard of production and performance, and Denny is no exception. One of the things that won me over to his first track was the wonderfully clean production on it. The Magic Of Rain is another slice of film music, this time just over five minutes long and -according to the song comments - is a 'orchestral piece with modern elements, jungle percussion and warm strings'. Tell you what, here is a test. Take a listen to the first twenty seconds of this and tell me that you don't agree with me, Young he may be but he sure knows how to produce spectrum filling music - whatever you feelings may be about the genre it's in.

Had the piano solo had a bit more edge/bite to it, I would have loved this the first time I played it. Like his other track, the more exposure you have to it, the more it's going to grow on you. I know that Denny is using some pretty decent kit to get these sounds so there is no surprise at their quality. I wonder, though, what he is using to master the track with because - once you get used to it - there is no doubting that the entire tracks lacks that sharp edge music like this deserves. Full bodied, stirring phrases and elegant transitions mark this out as being something special. As I remarked on reviewing Freedom's Calling, his main competition is going to be someone like Sound Radius, but Denny has definitely got the musical chops to get there.

Highly Recommended (gulp) film (gulp) score. (Ed: Nurse!! The screens...)

No comments: