Sunday, May 13, 2007

Pete Arnold - These Things

Hear The Track Here

Pete Arnold was all over the Soundclick forums around the time I reviewed his Blues Bother (September 2005), and then he promptly disappeared until now. T'wasn't because I gave him a mauling about that track, although truth to tell, I didn't find it that exciting as I said at the time. In fact, I had a few good things to say about that track as well as Streets Of My Dreams a track from the same session that produced Blues Bother. Pete comes from a very musical town - Coventry - so I expected a certain level of musicianship, and both tracks showed that he has some fine chops. Blues Bother (as you may have guessed) being a straight ahead blues, but Streets Of My Dreams was a much more solid performance and production as well as being a livelier tune.

So from 2005 to 2007 in one bound and...

These Things carries on much the same musical route mapped out back in 2005; kinda rocky, guitar driven vocal tracks with a distinct 'home produced' sound. Still, very few of the tracks that I hear on the 'Click are much more than that, so given the general level, Pete Arnold should find listeners without much trouble despite that. No that anybody but a nit picker would ever notice the difference anyway. What Pete Arnold does, there is no doubt, he does pretty well, even though there is a certain 'laid back' feeling to the music that is often the case with musicians recording themselves. See, for my money, this song IS a good one, and it kinda demands as much fire from the vocalist as it does from the track itself and in both respects I ain't hearing that.

It's a shame really because all the parts are there, just not delivered with the right sort of conviction in my estimation. Pete says in the song comments that 'it sounds a little ragged in places, but that was the idea, I assure you'. To me it doesn't sound as ragged as all that (unless you are talking about the general recording quality) but it does sound like it needs a swift kick up the butt in order to start kicking some - if you know what I mean. As I say, a perfectly decent enough song but with a stilted, dated arrangement that makes it feel like it's dragging and a vocal that doesn't so much drive the song as lay lazily on top of it. After such a period between tracks I had expected some improvement, that improvement is in the song itself not in the process of getting it all digitized, which may well explain it's unwillingness to catch fire.

No comments: