Friday, August 18, 2006

Yunus Diskaya - Ho Ho Þývano

Hear The Track Here

'Do you review Turkish music' Yunus asked in the signup thread, to which I can only reply that music has no nationality to me. Music transcends all those boundaries, and being a dedicated (nay crazed) believer in the whole World music ethos, I'd be more than happy to review music coming from just about anywhere. Although I come from a fairly straightforward rock background, over the past 12 years I have moved steadily into the world music field and feel comfortable in it. I'd rather be listening to ethnic/multi-ethnic music anyday than any amount of rock, electronica or other western music field. I have no idea what 'Ho Ho Þývano' means but I'm pretty certain its got nothing to do with that other well known ho-ho'er Santa Claus. With that garish image shimmering before your eyes, let's hear what Yunus has to offer...

No matter what sort of musical image the title or the subject matter (turkish music) may conjure up, even the most cursory listen will show that this track is more rock than anything else. What will also become apparent is that this is almost a live recording, with all it's attendant sound problems (washy reverb, a distinct lack of clarity on the vocals), but it packs a punch for all that. It's rhythmically that I see the influence of Yunus' country and his own musical roots, and of course the violin sound which I can't remember the name of and I'm hoping Yunus will enlighten me. Despite it's western leanings, I did enjoy the freshness and in-your-face production of this track, particulary the ho ho choruses and overall found myself nodding agreeably after just a couple of plays.

Again, though, Soundclick is a big, big place with lots of musicians clamouring for attention, a great many delivering material that is light years away from the 'demo' sound this track suffers from. Don't get me wrong here, the production IS decent and everything is clear enough but with the reverb wash and volume levels of instruments there is a tendency for the track to sound boomy. What's on it musically I have no problem with whatsoever, and the more I played it, the more it confirmed that initial reaction. Admittedly you would need to appreciate the rhythmic subtleties that informs the Turkish musical tradition because otherwise it will seem like a pale imitation of western music, which it has borrowed from. Indeed, the vocal delivery and style is eminently Turkish in style and tone, displaying the scatalogical talent I most admire from the region. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more from this artist on the strength of the music alone.

Interesting certainly, and worthy of a listen or two.

No comments: