Wednesday, June 28, 2006

One Kid's Lunch - Fly Me

Hear The Track Here

I cracked up when I heard One Kids Lunch and their There's More (May 2006) and it gave me hope for the future of humankind - and it isn't often you can make that claim. The first thing I had to grapple with when facing OKL is that they are a Christian rock band and this is definitely one artist who belies the genre. To be sure, their outlook is undeniably Christian but their take on it is so far removed from the usual happy clappy that they do deserve to be much better known. I loved the power pop sound of There's More and it's wonderfully witty way of getting their message across and consequently waited all month for this track to come round in the hopes of raising my spirits after another long month of wall-to-wall PMS (that's Peep My S***, not the female complaint)...

So, Fly Me....

Well whatever expectations I had harboured from this band, Fly Me certainly exceeded them by a country mile, with one notable exception. 2:19?? Come on guys, who are you kidding? A track like this needs to go on for several days - at the very least. In others words, ye of the puzzled expression, this is a wonderful track that will lift you up enormously. Especially if you like something that sounds like the Beatles. No. Really. I am not one to go throwing that weighty burden on anyone's shoulders, but you tell me. Go have a listen to this track and tell me, sounds like, tastes like and what's a couple of minutes out of your day? Believe me, you will much, much better for the experience.

So after a couple of plays I'm already sold on this rocky track and then - in common with There's More - you start to notice the lyrics. Lines like 'I paint with such a colorful palette,then it whacks me like a big mallet' and ' dream I'm on exhibit as a chicken at the county fair, dream I'm walking down the street in nothing but my underwear...' thunder through your brain tickling funny spots you didn't even know you had. It was obvious for me from their first track that there is much much more to One Kids Lunch than a good bandname and a unique take on a much abused genre. Little did I realise they can churn out a KILLER pop tune too...

Highly Recommended. Get a lift, fly OKL.

No comments: